Introducing Smart Metering
The future is Smart
Ireland’s smart meter upgrade programme will guarantee that residential and commercial Flogas customers are provided with the next generation of electricity meters that are being rolled out across Europe and internationally.
This new technology will replace older meters and will allow you to avail of new products and services which will benefit Irish consumers, the environment and the economy.
You can find out more in our Smart Meter Brochure.
COVID-19 Update Smart Metering Programme
- Following the revised Covid-19 restrictions announced by Government on January 6th 2021, the deployment of smart meters has temporarily ceased with immediate effect.
- ESB Networks will recommence smart meter replacements as soon as it is safe to do, based on Government advice.
- ESB Networks will contact you to let you know when they are recommencing smart meter exchanges in your area.
What is a smart meter?
Smart meters are the next generation of electricity meters. Using digital technology and the 2G mobile phone network, the smart meter will give you access to accurate information on your energy usage throughout the day.
Smart meters will make the supplier switching process easier and empower consumers to make a more informed choice for their energy needs. Smart metering will also enable the development of the smart grid and facilitate more flexible, reliable and better network planning.
What to expect when your meter is being replaced?
- You will receive a letter from ESB networks before your meter replacement.
- If your electricity meter is outside and can be easily accessed, you don’t need to be at home for ESB networks technician to complete the meter replacement
- If your meter is inside your home, they will arrange an appointment with you
- An ESB Networks network technician or an electrical contractor working on their behalf will come to your property to remove your existing meter and replace it with the new smart meter. All our installers carry photo ID badges identifying them
- Once your smart meter is installed, ESB Networks will connect your meter to the communications network. This will allow ESB Networks to communicate securely with your meter. This may take 30 days from the date your smart meter is installed. This means that some smart tariffs and benefits may not be available to you until after the 30-day period has elapsed.
As part of the National Climate Action Plan, ESB Networks is upgrading every electricity meter between now and 2024. Every home, farm and business will receive a new smart meter free of charge which, from 2021, will bring benefits to customers, the environment and the economy. Currently, your electricity meter is manually read by ESB Networks up to four times per year. Smart Meters are able to record your consumption more frequently and automatically send your meter readings to ESB Networks.
A Greener, More Sustainable Ireland
Every smart meter will help us all become more energy efficient and environmentally friendly as we work towards a low-carbon future. Smart meters will support the migration towards a carbon free electricity network and will enable smart grids, e-cars, local renewable generation and microgeneration
Smart meters will provide you with greater access to accurate information on your energy usage, giving you greater control over your energy consumption. In trials, consumers reduced consumption by up to 3% and peak demand by 8%.
Reduced Need for Estimated Bills
Smart meters will enable more accurate billing, significantly reducing the need for manual meter readings and estimated bills.
- Time-Of-Use (TOU) tariffs
New TOU tariffs, from Flogas, will provide you with flexibility to use your electricity consumption at times when electricity usage is cheaper
- New bill
Your new Flogas bill will provide you with key information upfront, a graph comparing your energy usage year-on-year and helpful hints and tips to help you manage your electricity.
Improved Customer Service
The new smart meters will allow ESB Networks to find faults quicker and manage the network more efficiently. It will also enable you to switch electricity supplier and move premises more easily.
Electricity supply companies will begin to offer new smart products and services, giving you more choice and enabling you to move some of your consumption to times of the day when electricity is cheaper.
We anticipate that by 2021 new products and services will enable you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of day when electricity is cheaper.
In the future, functionality within the meter will allow ESB Networks to find faults quicker and manage the safety of your meter more efficiently.
Smart Electricity Meters FAQs
- Smart meters are the next generation electricity meters and will replace older mechanical meters. When fully operational, smart meters will bring benefits to the consumer, the environment and the economy.
- With smart meters, there will be no need for estimated bills. You will be able to access the information you need to make more informed choices about your consumption and tariffs. Accurate information about energy usage across the day will allow you to manage your bills with greater accuracy.
- The environment will benefit because smart metering will encourage energy efficiency and support an increase in renewable power on the electricity system. The upgrade programme will help to cut CO2 emissions and lower Ireland’s costly reliance on fossil fuel imports.
- The economy will benefit because using smart meters will help us to manage energy flow more efficiently at times of high demand. They will also enhance competition and improve consumer experience, customer choice and the range of products and services available.
- When smart meters are fully operational, you will have a choice to be provided with more accurate information about energy usage across the day to allow you to better manage your bills with greater accuracy than at present. This information can also help you to make more informed choices about your consumption and tariff.
- Currently, your electricity meter is manually read by ESB Networks up to four times per year. Smart Meters are able to automatically send your meter readings to ESB Networks. So with smart meters, there will be no need for estimated bills.
- ESB anticipate that by 2021 new products and services will enable you to shift some of your consumption to off peak times of the day when electricity is cheaper.
The meter replacement will be carried out by ESB Networks or a company working on behalf of ESB Networks.
The programme is being delivered on a phased regional basis and will complete in 2024. Installations began in autumn 2019 and by January 2021 approximately 245,000 smart meters were installed.
- The replacement of over 2 million electricity meters with the next generation electricity meter over a six-year period will cost some €1.2bn.
- Like other infrastructure upgrades, the cost of the meter upgrade will be recouped over time in charges paid for use of the electricity network and so there is no upfront charge to have a smart meter installed.
- The Commission for Regulation of Utilities has done extensive analysis of the plan and is satisfied that the investment involved represents value for money.
There will be no upfront charge to have a smart meter installed. Like other meter upgrades, the cost of the meter will be recouped over time in charges paid for use of the electricity network infrastructure.
- The programme started in autumn 2019 and will continue until the end of 2024. Work has begun in parts of Dublin, Cork, Laois, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow. The roll out will continue on a phased area by area basis and a detailed rollout plan is currently being developed by ESB Networks.
- ESB Networks will give you plenty of notice about when they are coming to your area.
While the initial focus will be on areas with the oldest meters, customers can apply to ESB Networks or their electricity supplier for a prioritised installation of a smart meter. When contacting us you’ll need your 11-digit MPRN number to hand. This can be found on your electricity supply bill and always starts with '10'.
ESB Networks will contact all customers who have previously registered as requiring special assistance in order to make a suitable appointment for the replacement of their meter.
To register as requiring special assistance contact your electricity supply company with your MPRN details.
Your smart meter will record details of your consumption of electricity. Each day, ESB Networks will collect data on the total amount of electricity consumed over the previous 24-hour period. This information will be used to provide information to support customer billing, customers switching suppliers and customers moving premises. The meter will also collect more detailed breakdown of your electricity consumed e.g. usage every 30 minutes. However, this information will only leave your home if you request this through your electricity supply company, as they develop and offer new smart services which require this data. In order to ensure the meter is working properly, ESB Networks will also collect non personal data about the meter itself.
All data collected from the meter will be securely stored in a central Meter Data Management System (MDMS) operated by ESB Networks. Flogas is committed to ensuring that we are compliant with GDPR and that all personal customer data is safe and secure.
ESB Networks confirm this information on their own website here.
Unlike traditional meters which record your electricity consumption and read every two months, when fully operational your smart meter will send details of your electricity consumption every day and reduce the need for estimated bills.
Each day, normally around midnight and via a secure 2G mobile network, your meter will send ESB Networks the total amount of electricity consumed over the previous 24 hour period. This reading will be used to provide information to support customer billing, customers switching suppliers and moving premises.
The meter will also records a more detailed breakdown of the electricity consumed in up to 30 minute periods. Please note this information will only leave your home if you request this from Flogas or if you're not a Flogas customer, through your own supplier.
In order to ensure the meter is working properly, the meter will also occasionally send ESB Networks diagnostic information about the meter itself.
ESB Networks have a total commitment to your health and safety. The upgraded smart meters will be safe and will comply with all necessary requirements and international standards.
Health authorities around the world, including the World Health Organization (WHO), have assessed the scientific evidence and there are no established health effects from smart meters which use similar technology to that used in your mobile phone.
Please contact Flogas on 041 214 9500 and one of our Customer Service agents will provide the details to you.